Friday 2 December 2022

Mail from Claire – inspirational story #6

Since I started this blog, I received quite some emails, most are very supportive, some critical (as often are the comments). Today I would like to share (with her permission) an email I received from a girl named Claire about her very interesting experience. I consider her account as a very valuable addition to the ongoing debate about ball myths and the philosophy of teaching self defense to young women particularly the differences in attitudes between male and female instructors.

Dear Wendy,

My name is Claire, and I just discovered your amazing blog. I study journalism and social science and I am about to graduate next year. I find the discussions on your blog quite fascinating uncovering some overlooked gender issues. I even considering doing my master thesis on the subject. I understand that from a male perspective, it is a very unpleasant and touchy subject, that’s why the responses are not always positive. Let me share a story from a couple of weeks ago which was for me quite eye-opening and completely changed my opinion how self-defense should be taught.  

At the beginning of this semester my good friend convinced me to attend a female self-defense course organized by our university. I heard some horrible stories about sex offences which happened recently, so I decided to give it a try.

The whole course consisted of two parts, one was theoretical about crime and rape prevention and the second one, which lasted for three weeks was about physical deterrence. We were divided into two groups of approximately 10; one group was led by a male and one by a female instructor. I was in the first group with Gerry, approximately 35 years old assistant professor from the sports department. He claimed he does several martial arts including karate and aikido, holding I don’t know which dan…even went to London Olympics…. He often wore a black kimono probably to highlight his seniority. Not exactly my type, but he was fit and good-looking, and I suspect that some of my classmates had a crush on him 😊

All the time he acted like he is the best expert in self-defense in the whole world. I did not like how cocky and opinionated he was.

Regarding the content of the course, I must say, his classes were dead boring and to me appeared totally useless, I often regretted I had to skip my favorite callanetics classes. The training looked basically all the time the same; he showed us a particular technique, usually to get out from a hold or grab and then we were supposed to repeat it and practice, either with him or in pairs. There was hardly anything on last-resort techniques. It was far from the fascinating and novel course you had with Linda.

For instance, he never mentioned testicles as a possible target…or actually, he mentioned that we should never attempt to kick or knee the groin, because it is dangerous, an attacker expects it and that we can lose balance…basically all the myths you debunk in your posts. Girls should, according to him, aim their kicks only at shins or knees cos a regular woman is not able to aim and kick higher. I am not an expert in self-defense by any means, never done any martial arts but come on, the things he thought were so unrealistic, consisted mainly of throws, pushes and elbow hits.

One evening Helen, the instructor of the second group got sick and we had to have the class together. This time we learned how to get away when an attacker stands close by and grab our hands. The idea was to twist the wrist to release our hand from the grasp, hit his nose with the palm and at the same time put one leg behind the attacker and try to trip him and push him down. Practicing this technique obviously caused us a lot of frustration. I don’t know how he got an idea that tripping a well-built man is a good self-defense move for an average college girl. Gerry became quite arrogant, criticizing us, having some stupid demeaning comments, and just adding to our frustration.

A man is as strong as his weakest point
There was a moment one girl, her name was Nadia was supposed to perform this move with Gerry playing an attacker. Nadia joined us from the other group and was a bit older than most of us, I think she was already a graduate student. So he grasped her hand to simulate an attack. But unexpectedly, Nadia instead of that awkward maneuver she was supposed to do, completely out of the blue, she stepped forward, quickly and sharply raised her knee and hit him right there …. you know the testicles! Because no groin techniques were ever trained, I suspect he never wore a cup. The bulge of his sweatpants got deformed, screamed horribly and immediately dropped to the ground. We all looked at him in awe. He was rolling on the floor cursing in apparently great pain.

Nadia was terrified, she squatted next to him and started to apologize profusely. But he just angrily rebuffed her focusing on his anguished male organs. Maybe to save the awkward situation one girl broke the silence and humorously commented Well, that worked!We started to chuckle, and another girl added Seems, Nadia should be our new instructor! another girl added “Heard something got cracked! Icepack?

Nadia should be the one
wearing a black kimono 
I was a bit appalled by those sarcastic comments. You know we were just students, and he was a young professor, who just got in an embarrassing situation and is possibly injured. Of course, he did not share any humor with us, he just looked at us with an angry red face and called off the session and asked us to leave.

In the locker room, we gathered around Nadia to get an explanation.

Nadia told us that the last session with Helen they learned to get away from a similar situation, and a knee strike was involved and somehow the whole thing came automatically. She said I got really scared I ruptured his testicles I could feel the soft tissue being crushed with my knee. I am so sorry; I had no idea how effective it can be.

We were quite supportive, absolutely not blaming her. One girl said Don’t feel sorry, you only broke his ego. He should have worn the cup, come on, this is a self-defense class one should expect their balls to be kicked!

Nevertheless, Gerry did not come for the next class. We finished the remaining two classes with Helen. What a change it was! She was much much better teacher, and Wendy, imagine she used the word testicles instead of groin! We had some concerns about Gerry, but she assured us he is fine, he sustained a mild bruising in one testicle and in her words The functionality of the organs got retained. She said he took a break, teaching self-defense to young women can be quite grueling sometimes. 😊

She told us that what Nadia did, is a simple and effective defense move, and any instructor should not be ashamed to teach it and have the trainees to practice it. She also blamed Gerry for not wearing a cup, such carelessness was just calling for disaster. If Nadia kneed with a bit more force it indeed could lead to a rupture or torsion, possible permanent injuries. But if facing a rapist this should be our goal. She even gave us some tips how this can be easily accomplished.

We also discussed the grab-twist-pull method in detail. One girl even suggested having Gerry as a ‘training dummy’ so we can learn this important method in real! Helen was laughing with us, but she rejected the proposal “A good idea, but I don’t want to lose my tenure. You were lucky you got Bob and Peter for Linda’s course. I think Helen should also look into such possibility. I see a lot of my male cheeky classmates for whom the serving in such a course as your ‘darling attackers’ would be only for their good 😊

The course was not long but I was amazed on the differences in attitude and approach between those two instructors, and I regret we hadn’t done the whole physical part with her. We had just two classes with her, but we left the course more confident and empowered and prepared for this dangerous word.

I don’t want to generalize but it indeed seems that female self-defense instructors perform better, and I can only recommend to specifically look for such courses.  

My best wishes and I hope to read more about this topic on your blog,

Claire

Thank you Claire for this very interesting and empowering story, I wish you very best luck in writing your thesis, do not hesitate in consulting me with anything. And be safe. Wendy 

60 comments:

  1. As an owner of 2 functioning testicles, I can't imagine not wearing any protective equipment in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jay, sure a responsible person would do it, he paid for his negligence. He could have ended up having 2 'non-functional testicles' :)

      Delete
    2. If you fail to acknowledge that based on your assessment of Gerry as him being negligent that you certainly were as well with Bob, then you are without question both a hypocrite and a man hater. I doubt you’ll post this, you don’t like people who disagree with you, obviously.

      Delete
    3. As you can see I post comments which disagree with me (if no personal attacks or vulgarity is involved), and I take time to explain my stand. Was I negligent with Bob kneeing him in the testicle full force? Yes in a sense. I can admit that. Nobody is perfect, me or Gerry or you. Wendy

      Delete
  2. No Comments? Really? I just had to comment on that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also like to add something to the topic of the men—led self defense courses: I have talked to a few instructors for female self defense courses and even they say that „speaking between men“ they can say that after 10 years of teaching these courses „we know that these techniques do not work in reality. Mainly it is to make money.“ So to sum up I would strongly advice any woman here to take self—defense courses led by experienced female instructors mainly in the non—profit sector. These are the only ones who really care to give you the necessary tools to effectively defend against real highly aggressive rapists. Male instructors are much more concerned about avoiding „embarrassment“ and making profit.
    They have no serious intention to really teach you simple and effective techniques.
    And they are absolutely fine with that. They have no genuine empathy for raped women. That is the sad truth I have to tell you when I hear such instructors talking among men.
    Regards,
    Emanuel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Emanuel, thank you for agreeing with me on this topic, I understand it is a touchy subject for some men. You are brave to speak up, I appreciate that. I do not really blame men like Gerry, I do not think he did something consciously bad, he does how it just fits him. Maybe he genuinely thinks he does the best in the interest of the women. I think he should just stick to his martial arts mastering and leave teaching self defense to female students to Helen. Regards, Wendy

      Delete
  4. The idea of male self defense instructors teaching female is so bad, they can teach most technique but when it come to testicles attack techniques men are not suitable to do so, men are so biased because their ego stopped them from being honest about testicles vulnerability and I don't know the reasons, is it the embarrassment? is it the ego? is it anxiety? is it fear?
    In that case men are most suitable to be assistants to practice some techniques or to express the feelings of having testicles or getting hit in the testicles, that is the most helpful way of having men in a women self defense classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Yes, there are many possible reasons and sometimes a combination of various issues. Maybe one cannot generalize some men can be honest (though these are in minority) and well-performing even as a course responsible. But I agree for men engaging just as assistants so the trainees can practice the techniques on male bodies is the most feasible way. Regards, Wendy

      Delete
    2. Yes indeed, nothing like volunteering to remove your clothes, be embarrassed, demeaned, and belittled by a female instructor and her female students while being struck, etc in the testicles. Naturally, every woman should expect that it's reasonable to treat males this way.

      Delete
    3. How to make men not to shy away from that? because I believe the more men accepting the vulnerability of their testicles the more we could get more information about that subject

      Delete
    4. Well, that's up to men themselves to change their mindset and forgo their machismo. It is not only good for them but also for the protection of their less physically strong loved ones, it involves accepting the male form as a whole, including its vulnerability in a certain spot. I believe it would make them more stronger and respected men. Wendy

      Delete
  5. Some years ago I had a female friend who taught self defence to young ladies in London. She occasionally got me to assist her, by acting as the perpetrator, so she could realistically demonstrate the moves. She only taught actual testicle strikes on one out of the four sessions. The rest of the course was mostly wrist locks, throws etc (she was black belt judo herself).

    The women mostly worked in pairs and only went through the motions of striking, without making actual contact, so nobody ever needed to wear protection.

    I had no teaching qualifications so I didn't do any coaching, but if there was an odd number in the class I would sometimes pair up with a student so she could practice what she'd been taught. One evening I was helping a very quiet woman, she hardly spoke at all, to practice breaking away from an attacker. She had to twist out of the grip I had on her wrists and go through the motions of bringing her knee up.

    So, I took hold of her but instead of twisting she jerked me forward towards her and simultaneously slammed her knee into my balls. Well, the next thing I knew I was doubled over in pain clutching my nether regions. (Never let anyone tell you that the move doesn't work!)

    Anyway, the trainer came over and explained to the student that she wasn't supposed to actually land the knee and told her to be more careful. The woman just stared at me and nodded. I went to take hold of her wrists to give it another go, but, before I even touched her, she nailed me again, this time even harder (and right on target). Then, before I even had any time to react, she followed it up with a second shot - harder still.

    This time I didn't recover. I went down and stayed down for a good ten minutes. Eventually I had to go and sit in the men's changing area until the pain subsided. There was no way I could continue the session, proving I suppose, the immense value of the kick to the balls as an effective technique.
    So you'll forgive me if I have some sympathy with for Gerry!




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know if she had any kind of disciplinary action taken against her? Not all testicle strikes are equal and 2 of those 3 were unacceptable.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for this story. It shows these things probably happen quite often in female self defense courses, although not really publicized. You have to understand she simply could not resist trying what she thought is effective. I can tell from my experience that the feeling is quite empowering so she could not resist doing it also the second time. Or maybe she had some bad experience in a similar but real confrontation with a man and it just came as a subconscious stress response. I hope it was not too embarrassing for you in front of the other girls to be 'knocked out' this way, and the ball aching got away quickly. Your friend could use the unique situation to explain to the students the effectiveness of testicle strikes rather than reproach her. If she did not want this situation to happen she should insist on you wearing the cup. Jay you are too strict. She was to learn self defense not how to be the most gentle and careful with a man. Thanks again for the story, and have a nice day. Regards, Wendy

      Delete
    3. There was no reproach. The teacher just carried on with the session without me (although she did check me out later for damage). The lady never did explain why she did it. It was like she went into some sort of shock when she made the first contact and I think the subsequent strikes were sort of reflex actions.
      I never actually saw her again but I did meet one of the other students some years later at a social gathering. I didn't know her but she recognised me immediately, and made a point of reminding me of the incident. She said (teasingly) that it was the funniest thing she'd ever seen. I asked about the other women's reactions and she shocked me by saying they were all actually quite jealous of the lady who had done it. Apparently nobody had any sympathy! How do you figure that one out?

      Delete
    4. I don't think I'm being horribly strict. Had they talked about it before hand, I would have accepted if the man had lost a testicle. My problem is the fact that he had no reason to expect a testicle strike, she knew he wasn't, and was even told not to, but she still kicked him full force in the testicles. It's the consent part that I think is missing here.

      Delete
    5. The incident just happened, it wasn't supposed to happen at all. There was no consent involved, she just did it. I don't think she thought about it, she just did it - and it certainly never even occurred to me to make an issue of it (and it wouldn't today either!) Both the trainer and I agreed afterwards that it was a lot better that it happened to me than to one of the other students. (That really could have caused a problem as I doubt if there was any insurance in force.)
      By the way, Wendy, did you know that the parts go black almost straight away after a strike like that? My friend applied a bag of frozen peas to the area, but it was back at her flat and much too late to stop it happening. no big deal, I was fully back to normal within a week. I actually forgot all about the incident until I met that other student.

      Delete
    6. Hi, thanks for the clarification. The whole situation clearly made an impression on the participants so she remembers it even after some time :) and I as a woman can understand that. They were learning self defense and your sparing partner just made a clear point. The purpose of self defense is to learn how to subdue a much larger muscular man and she, despite appearing timid and shy did it successfully and effortlessly. So no wonder they wanted to try it out as well and have a share of the success and that empowering feeling :) And looking for sympathy? You were playing out an 'attacker' so of course no sympathy for you as it should be in a real-life attack situation. ) Thanks for sharing your experience again, Regards, Wendy

      Delete
    7. Well, maybe she misunderstood the Nike slogan Just do it! Simply she did it (just the wrong thing) ;) Your friend was very considerate to use frozen peas to mitigate the pain. Peas for the balls! Sorry for the pun :) Well, we did not check Bob's and Peter's balls visually after being struck often so interesting to know they can turn black. I guess it can be some type of bruising? I am glad you recovered quickly. Wendy

      Delete
    8. Hi Jay, I get your point. But again, If someone is volunteering for a self defense class cannot expect to be pampered. She did not just walk up to him on the street and kneed his testicles out of the blue. Wendy

      Delete
  6. To me the whole society works on a model where woman are weak and man have to protect them. There enters the testicle strike ban (forbidden by the bible itself). Because on reality woman are not that weak. The models offer woman a ton of priviledges of "the fairer sex" in exchange of being physically powerless to man.

    And then Wendy we have woman like you, who fight dirty and can beat man quite reliably if you want to. But you still have all those woman priviledges so somehow you have the best of both worlds.

    claire story its all about what im telling you here. I have talked with woman who fight just like you wendy and are close to invincible and not only use but abuse all those damsel on distress perks for an easier life.

    And that its why your blog gets so much hate.
    So this is the question i ask myself. Should we teach woman the ways for unlimited power without any consecuences? What you think on it wendy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear André, sorry for not responding earlier. What I think is that we should be taught to most effective methods of self defense and it involves 'unlimited' testicle strikes (when justified) and the teaching should involve sparing and trying out the techniques. On the other hand, I do think this does not constitute 'unlimited power' just knowing these methods does not always guarantee winning all the time. It is up to women if and when a woman uses her knowledge (in serious self defense it is all allowed), but there should be no constraints on teaching. The information has to be provided. Hope I answered your question, Regards, Wendy

      Delete
  7. On this topic in specific, I once talked to a karate black belt woman on her mid forties. She told me she was truly scared of sparring against me. I suppose if i went harder on her she would have ended kicking me in the balls despite being she a higher rank tham me and that nutshots are forbidden on that specific dojo. I say this because woman at some point even the skilled and strong have to deal with they may end up fighting a stronger oponent. It's not the same for guys who can just solve their problem by becoming even stronger. And that experience woman have may be important while teaching a self defense course.
    Although Wendy the us girls vs then guys you use for this specific story it may hurt you on your goal of having this knowledge widespread. That dinamic may put guys more on the defensive that was strictly needed to tell the story.
    On that im curious do you expect or hope man to help you on your crusade? or you just expect man to stop messing on your way and solve this as a sorority issue.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi André, this is a very interesting story. She basically said she would choose the best method available to her in a situation she is to be overpowered on basis of physical strength. Even an expert in MA knows the unbeatable effectiveness of a ball kick :) I do hope both, men should not mess with women and behave but also should be supportive and helpful as much as possible when it comes to teaching self defense and not be afraid to expose their biggest vulnerability women can take advantage of. The combination of having Linda as the lead and Bob and Peter as assistants was what made the course so great. Wendy

      Delete
    2. Hey Wendy, as you guessed, she trained specifically for self defense, and her plan for that was to kick, knee and on general focus on the testicles. Any realistic spar with her would mean she aiming to my balls not one but many times. Who would have won? I dont know, i was still way faster and stronger than her, but also Who cares?
      I think it would be ideal a 25% spar dirty allowed. Ironically it would be nice if instead of efficiency she just fight as dirty as possible. She needed experience against stronger oponent and me against tricky ones.

      Delete
    3. Hi André, yes it would be good that at least some matches are dirty fighting allowed so we can test our abilities for real life fights and to gain experience. Who wins? It is always a lottery, it would depend on the experience of both of fighter sometimes luck is involved but sensitivity of balls definitevely equilibrate the chances. Regards, Wendy

      Delete
    4. On that regard. If you spar a guy dirty moves allowed.
      a) Would you try to use the dirty tricks linda teached you to win.
      b) How would you feel on the matter. Would you appreciate that chance of practice the effectiveness of your tricks? or would you be scared the guy you spar gain knowledge and experience on how to counter them)
      c) In case you win. Would you be nice to the guy who you just kicked in the balls? . Despite your adversary opinion its not a given you could just rub your victory on his face. Would it be your instinct to be nice or was just a dinamic for Linda's class.

      Delete
    5. Hi André, a) yes I have no reservation to use the dirty tricks at all (when necessary), b) that's a good point, it is beneficial to practice, but we should not unwisely reveal the tricks we know. I would keep some very dirty for the finish :) or for the time they are really needed. c) ohh yes, we were very nice nice, empathetic, caring for Bob and Peter in the moment of their defeat :) There should be always respect for any adversary. Wendy

      Delete
    6. before your reserves of revealing too much tricks there are the considerations of doing them on a more or less public space.
      For example i imagine you studied and practiced deeply the seduction trick, its a classic, imagine among the less surprissive but also most versatile on your bag of tricks. On paper its probably perfect to practice it on a more or less friendly spar.
      Im curious
      a) Would you see the spar as a chance to practice the trick and its variations or
      b) Would you be ashamed and worry for your reputation of using such a move on public?

      Delete
  8. Based on this blog, what it promotes, the hatred, hostility, and general dismissive attitude you convey towards men, why exactly should men ‘not be afraid’ to expose their biggest vulnerability women can take advantage of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because they are men, and men are supposed to be intrepid, brave and masculine, and protective of women. So they should show their cards. Do you want women be denied this important information so we are not able to defend ourselves if needed? so why hide this male vulnerability? Have a nice holiday season, Wendy

      Delete
    2. If you therefore are representative of most women, then they are predominantly liars, cheats, cowards, manipulative, dishonest, and cruel. Great qualities, no doubt Have whatever holiday season you have. I hope Tom has managed to stay well clear of you this season.

      Delete
    3. And I hope you are not representative of men :) Tom is doing fine, don't worry. Hope you are having a nice break. Wendy

      Delete
  9. How many clases was that course you taked with that womans techer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the classes twice a week almost the whole semester I guess around 25 sessions. So actually a lot. Wendy

      Delete
  10. Do you think this was Linda?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJPvSAQKNcw&ab_channel=Bella.Okyoto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Jay, indeed could be Linda ;)

      Delete
  11. Merry Christmas wendy hope you have a good time on family. Keep the good work on the blog. I appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi André, I also wish you and your family Merry Christmas and a joyful holiday season. This is a busy time of the year and I could not contribute to writing and responding but I hope it will be better soon. Regards, Wendy

      Delete
  12. Feliz navidad Wendy y a tu familia..y a todos los lectores del blog...pasar unas buenas fiestas!!..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias Adrian, Feliz Navidad y Próspero Año Nuevo! Wendy

      Delete
  13. Happy holidays my sweetly bitch !!! Serge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy holidays Serge, but next time use more respectful language or you will see, or rather not see your testicles ;) Wendy

      Delete
    2. I bet you're bluffing!!! Serge.

      Delete
    3. Not at all, watch out Serge!

      Delete
  14. Such a tough one you are Wendy, making online threats to assault men on your own blog. I doubt that is legal, even in your country. Time to make some serious inquiries; enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you upset that most men on this blog do not share your mindset? Grow up, nobody force you to read this blog or agree what I say. Use your time better. Wendy

      Delete
  15. As much as I despise you, have a great New Year's Eve, and challenge yourself to objectively reflect on the often sarcastic and critical tone of so many of your posts and responses to comments in preparation for the new year. Buy Tom a glass or two of whatever he likes, just to show you can be human and caring if you try hard enough...

    ReplyDelete
  16. And don't forget to toast your friendly blog adversaries on New Year's Eve too! They're the only ones trying to remind you to have a conscience... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do it. Hope you will be more chivalrous towards me in the coming year despite opposing views :) Wendy

      Delete
    2. You've already failed miserably to comply with your hilarious and idiotic that you'll pay more attention to what you write and manage your hatred and sarcasm. Hardly a surprise; leopards don't change their spots, and sadists don't change their 'values' either.

      Delete
    3. You also did not change your attitude, if you were just a bit more decent in your comments I can discuss things with you. I wish you all the best in the New Year. Wendy

      Delete
  17. Wendy, I am in love !!! He name is Alla. Serge !!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this blog seems to be like holidays. hardly no new posts very much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh yes holidays are important, I hope I will manage to post more.

      Delete
  19. Great respectful comments in your story above regarding the suggestion that Gerry be used as a training dummy to practice the GTP technique on. I guess this is one of your examples of how ‘you don’t think’ you’re disrespectful to men, as you posted not long ago. That’s got to be one of your most idiotic comments, although you’ve made so many it’s hard to chose which is a winner at times…

    Whoever said you’re a raving hypocrite is correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe tongue in cheek but sure if a man brags about his competence in self defense than he should make it possible to have his trainees test the effective self defense techniques otherwise it is some kind of theoretical discourse. Regards, Wendy

      Delete
  20. Hi Wendy, Love your blog and nutty knowledge. Best regards Torbjörn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Torbjörn, I am glad you like my blog. 'Nutty knowledge' what a nice pun! :) Regards, Wendy

      Delete