Saturday 15 August 2020

Eggs of men


In many non-English languages testicles are colloquially called ‘eggs’, for instance in Spanish huevos, in German Eier, in Czech vejce. This is indeed a very nice metaphoric reference. A man’s testicle has a shape of an egg. Testicles are also similarly fragile as a pair of eggs put together in a bag. An egg box is used to protect eggs when carried around. Analogously, a protective box is used to safeguard testicles from direct hits and to prevent injury during sport and martial arts. Eggs can be cracked easily by a female hand in few seconds, its done almost every day. Women should keep this in mind when their ability to defend themselves is questioned. One of the techniques I’ll present to you is called the ‘egg cracker’  I always felt it is a very appropriate name.

4 comments:

  1. Indeed. There are also other examples, like balls which are meant to be kicked, and nuts, which are almost meant to be cracked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this great metaphors! I mentioned eggs, since I am not a native English speaker and I realized eggs is a word rarely used for testicles in English.

      Delete
    2. Balls called eggs in my native language too. Serge.

      Delete
    3. Yes, different cultures use different metaphors. The Slavic languages often use 'eggs' because of the appropriate size and shape and their fragility of course:) There are many nationalities reading my blog so if they have any interesting other expressions I would be happy if they write them in the comments. Wendy

      Delete